The Milk Pool
The Milk Pool Uttar Pradesh has 60% more milk than any other state
The north-west of India is the main producer of milk.
- However, this is essentially buffalo milk
- Whereas the majority of cow milk comes from eastern and southern states.
More than half (60%) of India’s milk production is concentrated in just six states.
Uttar Pradesh continues to be the number one milk producing state of India,
- while the second place is taken by Rajasthan (replacing Andhra Pradesh, no. 2 in 2010 ).
- Maharashtra, Tripura, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat and Karnataka are the fastest growing dairy producer states of India, growing at 7.17%, 6.34%, 5.57% , 5.16%, 5.07% & 4.98% in 2012-13 respectively
The Milk Pool Split into the 6 major regions of India
South and West are the fastest growing regions for milk production, with 6.0% and 5.6% p.a. growth during 2004-13.
- Central India comes third with 5.4% growth. East comes fourth with 3.9%.
- North India has been growing at only 3.4%.
- The North Eastern part of India has no dairy tradition. It is almost stagnant with an almost negligible 0.9% growth.
However, some states like Tripura (6.3%) seem to be catching up.
Looking at average growth over the latest eight years among the major states, milk production growth seems to be stagnating in Punjab, Goa and north east while it is growing in some states like Andhra Pradesh (7.8%), Rajasthan (7.0%), Gujarat (5.6%), MP (5.5%), Karnataka(5.1%), MP(4.9%), Kerala, Bihar & Chhattisgarh (4.6%), Tamil Nadu (4.4%), UP(4.3%), Haryana (4.1%), Orissa (3.8%), and Maharashtra (3.5%).
Reasons for the differences in growth can be linked to increased demand from urban populations and higher support and subsidy by the State.
The Milk Pool Latest available data by State
In states like Rajasthan, AP and Karnataka, increased urbanization on the back of the IT industry has led to increased demand for milk and dairy products. Demand pull is leading to sharp growth rates in these states. Of course, a higher level of support by the state governments is also playing its role.